About Me, Book Tag

My Reading Habits

I’ve decided to branch out a little bit and do something different to a book review so that you can get to know me – and my reading habits – a bit better. While this is a tag, I haven’t actually been tagged by a blogger – I saw this on Goodreads and decided to do it because it looked like fun and is something a little bit different. Who says you can’t do it if you haven’t been tagged? Not me! If you want to do it, you do it. I plan on doing a few more soon.

DO YOU HAVE A CERTAIN PLACE AT HOME FOR READING?

The sofa in the living room. It’s the comfiest place in the house to read. I try to read when I’m in bed but it never goes to plan. I end up falling asleep while reading and wake up to find my book in a state.

BOOKMARK OR RANDOM PIECE OF PAPER?

It doesn’t bother me if it’s either. I have a few bookmarks that I absolutely love but if they’re being used, I have no problems with using a random piece of paper to mark my place. The one thing you’ll never catch me doing is dog-earing a book. I used to do it when I was younger but now I refuse to damage my books. It really frustrates me when other people do it to a book I lend them. Just use a piece of paper! Do any of you feel that way?

CAN YOU JUST STOP READING OR DO YOU HAVE TO STOP AFTER A CHAPTER/CERTAIN AMOUNT OF PAGES?

I can stop reading at any point. I have to finish the paragraph/sentence to make it easier to find where I was when I pick the book back up again, but it doesn’t have to be chapter-to-chapter for me.

DO YOU EAT OR DRINK WHILE READING?

Drink, yes. Eating… it depends. As long as it isn’t messy, greasy, or crumbly then I don’t have an issue, just as long as my book doesn’t get ruined or damaged, which I’m extremely careful about. I don’t eat while reading often because I’m so absorbed in what’s going on in the story.

CAN YOU LISTEN TO MUSIC OR WATCH TV WHILE READING?

Multitasking is not my strong point at all. I can’t listen to a song I like because I find it difficult to not sing along with them, haha! If there’s a song or something on the TV that I don’t really care for then I can switch off to it. I’m so easily distracted, especially when reading.

ONE BOOK AT A TIME OR SEVERAL AT ONCE?

I used to be able to read multiple books at once, although no more than three. Now, I’m lucky to be able to read the one book. With working full time, trying to have a social life, and running two blogs, there never seems to be enough time in the day to be able to do all the things that I want to.

READING AT HOME OR EVERYWHERE?

Mostly at home. Sometimes I’ll take a book with me to the pub or a coffee shop and read for a bit while I’m waiting for my boyfriend to meet me after work. I’ve taken books with me to work and can read them on the bus, but I tend not to do that as often.

READING OUT LOUD OR SILENTLY IN YOUR HEAD?

In my head! The only time I ever read out loud was when I was younger and learning to read.

DO YOU READ AHEAD OR SKIP PAGES?

Guilty! I used to be particularly bad for reading ahead, especially the last page. I’m impatient. It’s something I’ve recently stopped doing because I may or may not have spoiled a few books for myself – and I’m struggling so much with it! I want so badly to see if the book is going to end the way I think it’s going to end or if there’s going to be a cliffhanger; I like to prepare myself as much as possible.

BREAKING THE SPINE OR KEEPING IT LIKE NEW?

Definitely keeping it looking as new as possible. I cannot stand a broken spine on a book!

DO YOU WRITE IN YOUR BOOKS?

Never! I have a notebook where I write down the things I want to remember about the book. I used to use the small sticky notes but they used to get ruined or lost.

Thank you for reading! Have you done this tag before? Leave your links in the comments below. I’d love to know what habits you have when it comes to reading.

12 Comments

1. Ellie

June 28, 2018 at 6:04 pm

this was such a fun tag! I’ve done ones about my reading tastes etc, but never about how I physically read! I’m hoping to do the currently reading tag soon

1. paperbackadventures

June 30, 2018 at 3:28 pm

Thank you! I’ve seen so many that I want to do, they’re so much fun. I’ll have to check yours out, I love seeing what similarities or differences I have with other readers

2. Marcia

June 29, 2018 at 6:29 pm

What a nice way to get to know you! Next time you want to do one, let me know and maybe we can go at it together!

1. paperbackadventures

June 30, 2018 at 3:26 pm

Thank you! Sure, that sounds great

3. Jessie @ One Lost Coin

June 29, 2018 at 6:49 pm

This is awesome, I never really thought of talking with others about reading habits, but now that I’ve read yours I’m so curious if other people share my habits! Thanks for sharing 😀

1. paperbackadventures

June 30, 2018 at 3:25 pm

Thank you! Yeah, exactly, that’s why I did it. It’s a bit different to what I usually read on book blogs; it’s a nice break from reviews. I have a few similar posts lined up. It was pretty fun to call myself out on all my bad reading habits and see who else shares them.

4. Han

June 29, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Loved this post! I’m so guilty of skipping ahead when it comes to books, I’m so impatient and just want to know the ending first…bad I know! x

Han | lifewithhan.blog

1. paperbackadventures

June 30, 2018 at 3:23 pm

Thank you! You and me both. I’ve really been trying not to spoil the ending these days and I never realised how difficult it would be, haha. It’s normally the first thing I do when starting a new book.

5. Kate | All The Trinkets

July 8, 2018 at 3:37 am

I can’t, for the life of me, stop reading a book. Like it’s okay if I was still in the first few chapters and I’m still getting the hang of the characters and the author’s writing. But if it was halfway through and I’m super into the story already, I canNOT put it down. I want to know what happens next. Which is why I usually read books on weekends rather than on school days and I’d stay up until 3am just to finish what I’m reading.
    Dog-earing pages should be a crime, honestly. I’d rather use a random piece of paper.

1. paperbackadventures

July 8, 2018 at 9:21 am

I know what you mean – I’ve just started reading Caraval and it’s so good that I’ve been unable to put it down until I’ve got to the next chapter, which is not like me at all. Yes, exactly, so glad you agree about dog-earing!

6. Laura

July 11, 2018 at 8:47 am

I’m so glad I’m not the only one that likes to keep their books pristine. One of my friends jokingly calls me a ‘book purist’ as I am horrified by the fact she annotates her books. I just couldn’t do it. By the time I am finished with a book it looks exactly as I received it. I’ve not long started my own blog so I might do a similar post! 🙂

1. paperbackadventures

July 12, 2018 at 10:06 am

I’m with you on that one – I could never annotate my books! It’s okay if it’s on a sticky note but never the book itself. I’ve followed your blog so if you do write a post like this I’ll definitely check it out! 😊