Books, TBR

September TBR

My August wrap-up has been posted and now it’s time to reveal the books I hope to read in September. I say hope because this month, on Wednesday I’m starting my college course and it’s going to be the start of what I hope is five years worth of study in order to become a forensic psychologist! I’m super excited, but also extremely nervous because it’s been eight years since I was last in education, but I feel more prepared than I was then. Hopefully anxiety will stay well away!

I want to beat the four books I read in August this month. I’m aiming for six this month.

YOUNG ADULT

In my last post, I mentioned how I’ve already started This Mortal Coil by Emily Suvada and Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi.

this mortal coil, emily suvada, bookΒ children of blood and bone, tomi adeyemi, book

I’m almost done with This Mortal Coil – if you like YA and sci-fi then you definitely need to add this to your TBR. It’s a strong debut from Emily Savada.

SIX OF CROWS

By Leigh Bardugo

six of crows, leigh bardugo

I cannot believe it’s taken me this long to get to this. Okay, so I say this about most books that I read, but it’s true. When you had a reading slump that lasts several years you tend to have a LOT to catch up on. And I really do have a lot to catch up on. This is one book that I’ve heard so much about, seen almost constantly on Instagram, and have been seeing more frequently on Twitter. It’s about time I read it! I cannot wait to begin.

THE CRUEL PRINCE

By Holly Black

the cruel prince, holly black

Do you ever feel as though you know you’re definitely going to love a book before you’ve read a single page? I have that with this! I’m so excited to get stuck into it. I think this is the book that dominates my Instagram feed the most, so much so that I feel like I know this book already.

THRILLER

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN

the girl on the train, paula hawkins

I bought this on Kindle about a year ago when it was super cheat but have yet to read it. Since I’m going to college and travelling on a bus to get there (driving lessons are so expensive 😞), I thought it would be a good chance to get through the large amount of ebooks I have but have never read. I did try and read this one a few months back, but, for some reason, I wasn’t feeling it.

HORROR

NOS 4R2

By Joe Hill

NOS 4R2, Joe Hill, Thriller, Horror, Supernatural

I am a self-confessed wimp when it comes to anything horror-related. I couldn’t even watch Life with Jake Gylenhaal and Ryan Reynolds, which is admittedlyΒ notΒ a horror film, without covering my eyes with a pillow, so you can imagine what I’m like during horror movies. Because of my scaredy-cat tendencies, I’ve not read much horror, if at all. I asked on Twitter for some recs because I want to start reading more horrors and thrillers – I’ve started off with some pretty tame ones – and NOS 4R2 by Joe Hill was recommended to me by Roxanne. The concept sounds absolutely terrifying and I’m looking forward to reading. Hopefully it’ll make me less of a wimpΒ πŸ˜‚

It’s definitely more of a YA oriented TBR – I love YA but I do want to explore more genres that I’ve not read much of before. I read Final Girls by Riley Sager, which is a thriller, and I fell in love with the constant guessing and pointing fingers at different characters. If you guys have any horror/thriller recs then please let me know!

What’s on your TBR? How many books are you planning on reading in September?

14 Comments

1. CG @ Paper Fury

September 4, 2018 at 1:11 pm

Ooh a forensic psychologist! That sounds AMAZING and also super intense, and I wish you all the best as you get started, ahh!! Also this looks like an incredible TBR and I can already attest that COBAB is amazing and The Cruel Prince is like the best thing ever.😍 I knew I was going to be obsessed with it from page 1 as well!!

1. paperbackadventures

September 4, 2018 at 5:08 pm

Thank you so much! I’m so excited to start tomorrow and really get stuck into it. It’s my absolute dream career and I’m just waiting for the next five years to fly by so I can qualify, haha. Ah, your comment has made me so much more excited about getting through these books. The hardest part is going to be which order to start reading πŸ˜‚

2. Tammy @ Books, Bones & Buffy

September 4, 2018 at 1:56 pm

The Cruel Prince is amazing! I hope you love it😁

1. paperbackadventures

September 4, 2018 at 5:11 pm

I’ve heard so many amazing things about it. I’m really looking forward to reading it 😊

3. Karlena

September 4, 2018 at 3:13 pm

You’re TBR looks amazing! I’m definitely going to check out some of these! I’ve just finished the girl on the train and it was good- literally couldn’t put it down. Also your course sounds really exciting, I hope it all goes well 😊

1. paperbackadventures

September 4, 2018 at 5:12 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I’ve just started it and it’s already got me so interested. Thank you so much 😊

4. Shelby

September 4, 2018 at 3:38 pm

I still need to read The Girl on the Train!! Tried to watch the movie and lost interest, so fingers crossed the book is more exciting πŸ™‚

1. paperbackadventures

September 4, 2018 at 5:15 pm

I was the same with the film, there’s just something about it that I couldn’t get into. I’ve heard the book is much better and so I’m quite excited to read more. I started it today and haven’t got too far into it yet but it’s already gotten me wanting more 😊

5. Laura

September 4, 2018 at 3:48 pm

The Girl on The Train is INCREDIBLE!! I’m just reading ‘Into the Water’ by the same author and loving it so far!

Laura // em-andme.com

1. paperbackadventures

September 4, 2018 at 5:18 pm

I’m so glad you’ve said that! I’ve only just started it but now I’m even more excited to read it. Into the Water is on my list to read. Eventually I’ll get to it if I ever get my TBR to a manageable state. So glad you’re enjoying it!

6. Sammy (The Self-Care Sloth)

September 4, 2018 at 7:33 pm

I love an ambitious TBR! Good luck to you – trying to carve time out of your new schedule to read will probably do you good πŸ™‚
    I love a horror or thriller so I might give that one a go, it looks good – I might wait for you to review it first though πŸ˜‰

7. Marie @ Drizzle & Hurricane Books

September 9, 2018 at 7:19 pm

OH what an incredible TBR you have there! I LOVED This Mortal Coil and Children of Blood and Bone so, so much. I was also very nervous to start Six of Crows, given that everyone seems to love it, but I really did love it just as well. I hope you will, too πŸ™‚ Happy reading! πŸ˜€

1. paperbackadventures

September 10, 2018 at 6:14 pm

I’m just over halfway through Children of Blood and Bone hence the reason it took me a day to reply to this comment πŸ˜‚ but I’m absolutely loving it and determined to finish it tonight! I’m so excited for the sequel to This Mortal Coil, it’s definitely one of my favourite books of all time. That’s made me even more excited to read Six of Crows now. I’m always apprehensive about starting a book that is so popular but I’ve not seen a negative review of it at all yet so I’m pretty excited to start it. Thank you for your lovely comment ❀️

8. OllieCoolguy

September 24, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Great TBR! I’ve only read one book this month. It’s called Civil Terror: Gridlock by author J. Luke Bennecke (http://www.jlukebennecke.com/ ). It is a very intense near future thriller novel and the technological aspect of the story felt like something we could be dealing with very soon! It has great characters (I loved the antagonist Viktor) and kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. There are plans for (I think 4 books) so I can’t wait for more intense reads! I would love to hear your thoughts if you get a chance to read it!