Follow Paperback Adventures on WordPress.com

September Wrap-Up and October Goals

Posted in Books, TBR, Wrap Up
on October 3, 2018
september wrap-up, october goals

It doesn’t feel like an entire month has gone since I posted my September TBR… but it has.

September was a bad month, like a really bad month for reading. I managed to read two books.

Yes, TWO!

And one doesn’t even count because I had already read two-thirds of This Mortal Coil in August. The only book I actually did read was an ARC of House on Fire by Bonnie Kistler that was provided by NetGalley.

For a book blogger, it’s pretty pitiful.

I seriously underestimated how busy I was going to be now that I’ve started college. I have nine subjects to study for, with my first two exams at the end of October. I have several presentations to prep for. On top of all of that, I still work part-time, doing two full days in the office, and now I’ve just applied to volunteer with a mental health charity. So where I’m going to find the time to read and blog is beyond me. To hell with it, I can sleep when I’m dead!

Actually, I’ve had to create a schedule. Yes, it’s come to that, I have to schedule time for reading and blogging – oh, and for eating and sleeping as well. Don’t worry I have my priorities sorted with reading and blogging high up there.

I’m hoping October is going to be better for, well, just about everything. Considering how much I have to do this month, especially this month with exams coming up in four weeks, I’m not holding out hope that I’m going to achieve any of what I want to do in October but it’s always good to make goals.

BOOKS TO READ

I’m going to keep my TBR the same as September with these books.

six of crows, leigh bardugothe cruel prince, holly blackthe girl on the train, paula hawkinsNOS 4R2, Joe Hill, Thriller, Horror, Supernatural

I HAVE TO FINISH THIS BOOK! I kept promising myself that I was going to in September and I didn’t. THIS MONTH IS MINE!

children of blood and bone, tomi adeyemi, book

I’m also trying to build a portfolio on NetGalley so I’m trying to read as many ARCs as I can to build up my feedback ratio. Currently, I’m reading And Then You Were Gone by R. J. Jacobs, which is giving me some serious Final Girls vibes.

and then you were gone, r j jacobs

OTHER OCTOBER GOALS

Some of my other October goals are:

• To publish a post at least twice a week
  • To read at least one book a week
  • To pass both exams with distinctions (this one is admittedly the hardest of all my goals)
  • To have written my personal statement for my university application
  • And to start posting on Instagram again

So these are my October goals. How much of them I’m going to achieve is another thing, but I’m coming into this month with optimism and hope, with a determination and fire inside me. I know what I want and I know what I need to get it and I’m not going to stop until I do get it.

How was your September? Did you accomplish all that you wanted to? Or were you like me and didn’t do as much as you wanted? And while you’re telling me about those, why don’t you let me know your October goals.

Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Goodreads

HOUSE ON FIRE, BONNIE KISTLER
scythe, neal shusterman, book review, paperbackadventures

20 Comments

• Laura (Roachie's Reviews)

I think considering how much you’ve got on you’re doing an amazing job! If you could read two books a month then there’s nothing wrong with that, it doesn’t make you any more or less of a book blogger 🙂

October 3, 2018 at 8:59 am Reply
    • paperbackadventures

Thank you so much, that’s really sweet of you to say 😊

October 6, 2018 at 12:13 pm Reply
  • Erin

You’re doing your best and that’s all you can ask for yourself. Good luck for this month, I’m sure you’ll smash it. I’ve set no goals yet this month but I will be doing now!

October 3, 2018 at 9:44 am Reply
    • paperbackadventures

That’s true, I definitely have to learn to stop being so hard on myself when I’m doing my absolute best. Thank you so much, I hope so! 💜

October 6, 2018 at 12:15 pm Reply
  • CG @ Paper Fury

Omggg good luck with all of this!! And definitely don’t be too hard on yourself, like blogging takes up a LOT of time and effort, and that’s not even counting on having time to read … plus you’re so busy with uni and work and volunteering?! YOU ARE AMAZING. I don’t even do a quarter of that and still struggle to find time to read sometimes.😱Anyhow, good luck with your schedule and I hope you do squeeze in some sleep amongst all of this. (And I LOVED The Cruel Prince ahh!!)

October 4, 2018 at 10:06 am Reply
    • paperbackadventures

Thank you so much! 😊
      I’ve heard so many amazing things about The Cruel Prince, like I’ve not seen any negative reviews of it all. I’m so excited to read it, whenever that’ll be haha!

October 6, 2018 at 12:21 pm Reply
  • Alyssa

Oooh, I can definitely relate (though I have a noticeably less amount of college classes and work that often). But can I just say … YOU ARE FREAKING WONDER WOMAN??? Lol. But I find it hard enough to blog once a week … but twice?? I am in awe. In other news, though … LOVE Six of Crows!!! Sooo good! (really want to read Cruel Prince and Children of Blood and Bone)

For October I have an ambitious to-read list that I know I won’t get through (September was a slow reading month for me, too) and luckily all of my mid-terms are cumulative. Just regular ol’ tests. Ummm. Blogging’s a big thing as well (aaaaah, so much time!). And that’s it, pretty much.

Good luck!!! 🙂

October 4, 2018 at 5:40 pm Reply
    • paperbackadventures

Haha, thank you so much, your comment really made my day! 💜 I’m so excited to start reading Six of Crows, it’s been on my TBR for what feels like forever and I just can’t wait to finally open it! Although it’s taken me a couple of months to finish Children of Blood and Bone it’s definitely worth a read whenever you get a chance in your busy schedule, it’s such an enjoyable read and one of my favourite stories I’ve read this year.

Ooh, can’t wait to see your TBR. Off I go…

Thank you! Good luck to you and your studies as well 😊

October 6, 2018 at 12:26 pm Reply
  • Rasya

I’ve had Six of Crows and The Cruel Prince in my TBR but I haven’t read it yet lol. Good luck with all your goals! My goal is also to post twice a week this month and I’m going to nail it! Hahhaa.

October 6, 2018 at 2:26 pm Reply
    • paperbackadventures

I think they’re the kind of books that are on everyone’s TBR. It’s so hard to get around to them when there are so many amazing books that need reading and so little time, haha! Thank you, good luck with your goals as well, I’m sure you’re gonna nail it!

October 7, 2018 at 9:31 am Reply
  • Kate | All The Trinkets

I’ve read Six of Crows (which I LOVED ahhhh) and The Cruel Prince (which was… okay for me) so I hope you enjoy them 😊 Gahh the first couple weeks of September was not good to me, thankfully the last week was alright. If it makes you feel better, I’ve only read one book in September 😅
    One of my goals this month is to finish reading the nonfiction I’m currently reading which isis Grit by Angela Duckworth. Nonfic is surprisingly harder to read than fiction, I find 😅

October 6, 2018 at 2:52 pm Reply
    • paperbackadventures

The Cruel Prince was just okay? I think you’re the first person I’ve come across to say that, everyone else has hyped it up so much and made it out to be one of the best books – and series – out there now. I’m quite apprehensive to read it now, haha! One book is better than no book 😊
      I completely agree with you there. I was given a nonfiction book before summer and I still haven’t finished it, haha. They are harder to read.

October 7, 2018 at 9:36 am Reply
  • Marie @ Drizzle & Hurricane Books

Oh I get how hard it is to juggle with everything, work and classes and blogging and reading. I hope that this new schedule will work out well for you, it takes a bit of time to find the right rhythm but I am certain that you will 🙂
    Best of luck for your goals this October, have a wonderful month! xx

October 7, 2018 at 8:24 am Reply
    • paperbackadventures

Thank you! So far I haven’t managed to keep to my schedule 😂 but once I get into it, then I’m sure I will. I hope you have a great October as well!

October 7, 2018 at 9:38 am Reply
  • Bexa

Wow Kelly, studying, working, volunteering reading and blogging, you have a very busy schedule! I struggle to balance blogging and studying, so well done you, I’m super impressed. This looks like a great reading list, The Girl On The Train is a really good story, I enjoyed it. All the best with your goals, studies and exams. Hope October is an awesome month for you, thanks for sharing lovely <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

October 7, 2018 at 6:21 pm Reply
    • paperbackadventures

Aw, thank you, that’s really sweet of you to say! I’m almost done with The Girl on the Train – it’s so gripping! I’ve had a hard time putting it down. I’m glad you enjoyed it.
      Thank you, Bexa! I hope you have a great October as well 💖

October 8, 2018 at 8:33 am Reply
  • Kathy @ Books & Munches

Funny [and frustrating] how life can get in the way of our hobby! [Although I have to admit, my reading and blogging feels like more than “just a hobby” but still, hah.]

I hope your exam prep is going well! All the luck with those – hope you get those distinctions. 🙂

The Cruel Prince and Children of Blood and Bone are two of my favorite fantasy novels. Hope you love them as much as I do! <3

October 11, 2018 at 3:36 pm Reply
    • paperbackadventures

I completely get what you mean – this definitely feels like more than a hobby to me – but it’s so hard to keep it going when there are so many other things going on that take precedence. If only blogging could be a full time job, haha.

Thank you so much! I have one exam tomorrow so luck is appreciated 😊

I’ve finally finished Children of Blood and Bone (yay) and I LOVED it! I can’t believe it took me so long. Review of it will be up soon. I’ve only read a couple of pages of The Cruel Prince but I’m already quite intrigued by the idea so I’m really looking forward to reading more of it.

October 11, 2018 at 8:37 pm Reply
  • Britt @ Geronimo Reads

The Cruel Prince is AMAZING and you are going to devour the crap out of it!!! I’ve been super intrigued by NOS 4R2 also. 2 books in one month is still so good!! Better than no books at all! You got this.

October 12, 2018 at 1:50 am Reply
    • paperbackadventures

That’s very true – at least I was reading! You’ve made me so much more excited for The Cruel Prince now. I’ve read a couple of pages already and I’m hooked, so I can’t wait to read more. NOS 4R2 seems to be on so many people’s recommended reads for October so it seems to be pretty good. I’m going to leave it until the end of the month to make it more atmospheric 👻😂

October 12, 2018 at 3:30 pm Reply