TBR, Wrap Up

November Wrap-Up and December Goals

November was a very bad month for reading.

I read one book.

And half of another!

I know, I know. It’s pretty poor. My defence is that I’ve been super busy lately with college work. I’ve had a criminology and psychology exam so far and have sociology exam next week! I’ve got three presentations in the same week. All my hard work is paying off because I ACED MY EXAMS WITH A DISTINCTION! I’m so proud of my results. I was convinced I had failed my psychology exam (the hardest exam I’ll be doing on this course) and my tutor mentioned that she didn’t hand out distinctions in the first unit often so I was not feeling hopeful at all. Somehow I did it. I really did it.

Onto what I did actually read…

ruin and rising, leigh bardugo, book, books, book review, book reviewer, review, reviewer, book blog, book blogger, blog, blogger, paperbackadventures, paperback adventures

I finally finished the trilogy! I’m in love with the world and the characters. Leigh Bardugo is up there as one of my all-time favourite authors. This trilogy was everything that I adore in a book.

six of crows, leigh bardugo

I’ve started reading Six of Crows, which has been one of my most anticipated reads, but it took me a while to properly get into it. I was not prepared for the reading slump that took over once I finished the Grisha trilogy. That being said, I finally think my slump is over and I am absolutely loving being back in the Grishaverse. It is most definitely living up to the hype!

I’m still on a book buying ban (one month to go!), although I have gotten around that thanks to my generous boyfriend who has bought me The Poppy War, A Court of Thorns and Roses, and a Darker Shade of Magic for our fifth anniversary later on this month. My TBR is going to consist of those, The Cruel Prince which I had to put down to revise for my exams, Strange the Dreamer, and I have three ARCs that I need to review before the middle of the month which I have yet to start… I like to cut it close! I’m also taking part in my first blog tour this month so don’t forget to check that out!

the poppy war, r. f. kuang, r f kuang               a court of thorns and roses, acotar, sarah j. maas, sarah j maas, sarah maas, book, books, blog, blogger               a darker shade of magic, v. e. schwab, victoria schwab, v e schwab

This has to be one of my most ambitious TBRs. I’ve been saving up my leave from work to make sure I have a long break over Christmas. I’ve got almost three weeks off so I’m going to spend a lot of it doing absolutely nothing but reading.

OTHER NOVEMBER GOALS

I didn’t set myself many goals for November because I knew how busy I was going to be.

• Post twice a week – I missed one week where I only posted once but, for the most part, I did manage to post more than I thought I would all things considering.
  • Participate in NaNoWriMo – I wrote a total of 500 words and then I changed my idea completely and wrote a total of 0 words. My first ever NaNoWriMo went really well…
  • Wrote my personal statement for university – this is the goal I’m most proud of last month. I am absolutely terrible at selling myself because I never feel good enough. It took me hours to write this and, surprisingly, I’m actually happy with what I wrote. If you follow me on Twitter then you’ll know that yesterday I sent off my applications for university!

DECEMBER GOALS

The only goals I’m setting myself are to read all the books on my TBR and to post twice a week.

I also have a really exciting new project lined up to start this month. Mental illness is a subject that is incredibly close to me, as you may already know, and I want to start raising more awareness of the different illnesses that affect people. We all know about depression and anxiety, they’re the two more commonly discussed mental illnesses, but they aren’t the only ones. I’ll be featuring one incredible person a week who is brave enough to share their story to shed light on the illness that impacts their life. I’m so incredibly grateful and excited to have them on board.

Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr | Pinterest | Goodreads

How was your November? What are your goals for December? Are any of you taking part in Blogmas? Let me know in the comments below and feel free to link to your latest posts!

20 Comments

1. Catarina @ Pages & Plots

December 3, 2018 at 10:25 am

All of those books are priorities on my TBR, so they’re all good choices!

1. paperbackadventures

December 5, 2018 at 7:40 am

I’m having such a hard time picking which one to start first, haha! Hope you enjoy!

2. Bexa

December 3, 2018 at 3:23 pm

Huge congratulations on the distinction Kelly, that is so awesome! Aww, that is so sweet of your boyfriend to buy you some books for your anniversary gift. Having some time off to just spend reading over Christmas sounds absolutely lovely, I hope you have a wonderful festive break and enjoy your books. I’m looking forward to read the mental health stories too, it sounds like such a fantastic project! <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

1. paperbackadventures

December 5, 2018 at 7:45 am

Thank you so much! 💖
      I’m so excited for Christmas just to have some time off for once haha. Three weeks to go!
      I have some amazing people lined up for the mental health stories and I’m so excited to showcase them – the first one goes live on Friday!

3. Norrie

December 3, 2018 at 6:04 pm

You may only have read one book, but it was an awesome you enjoyed.
    I’m also super curious about Six of Crows.
    And well done on the exam!!!

1. paperbackadventures

December 5, 2018 at 7:46 am

This is true! I’m almost finished with Six of Crows and it’s absolutely amazing, one of the best books I’ve ever read. If you ever get the chance, I’d definitely recommend picking it up. Ahh, thank you!

4. Rachel

December 3, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Girl, with everything you’re doing, one and a half books is still huge! Congratulations on your distinction, that’s so awesome. I go crazy with two papers due the same week, I cannot imagine three presentations in one week. Awesome job at kicking butt! I giggled at your comment on writing 500 words, then changing you mind and writing 0. I hate when that happens but it’s also part of the process! It’s so annoying to start over, but usually totally worth it. Best of luck on completing your list and enjoy your long break!

Cheers xx

Rachel | http://www.myspottedblog.com

1. paperbackadventures

December 5, 2018 at 7:59 am

Aw, thank you! 💖
      I’m lucky that we don’t have many assignments, well at least not yet, it’s mostly exams, which I’m finding better the second time around at college, and presentations, which I’m absolutely dreading. Let’s just hope I remember which presentation to talk about at the right time haha!
      I’m loving the idea I have now and can’t wait to start focusing more time on it. I’m just annoyed it didn’t happen during NaNoWriMo haha! It’s like you said though, it’s totally worth it.

5. Kathy @ Books & Munches

December 4, 2018 at 8:47 am

Congratulations on that distinction! Definitely an admirable accomplishment, especially if those aren’t handed out very easily in the first unit. Something to be very, very proud of, I’d say! 🙂

I really should get a start on the Grishatrilogy but.. so many books, right? Haha. Hope you enjoy The Cruel Prince! I’m looking forward to The Wicked King SO MUCH.

Happy reading!

1. paperbackadventures

December 5, 2018 at 8:27 am

Thank you so much! I’m still convinced my tutor had a concussion when marking them 😂
      Too true, too many books and not enough time! The Grisha trilogy is amazing and I do hope you find the time for them soon – they’re my new favourite series! I’m so excited to pick The Cruel Prince back up – I’m about five chapters in and loving it!

6. Soph

December 4, 2018 at 10:01 am

Even your worst reading months put me to shame! SO cute of your boyfriend to help you loophole the buying ban- happy 5th anniversary!

Soph – https://sophhearts.com/ x

1. paperbackadventures

December 5, 2018 at 8:32 am

Thank you, he is so cute and knows me so well!

7. CG @ Paper Fury

December 4, 2018 at 11:52 am

Ahhh CONGRATS on all the uni and study successes!! That is amazing and I’m so happy for you! I can imagine struggling to find time to read with all that going on for sure. And ahhhh the Grisha books are so so good, I think I even like Six of Crows more than the original trilogy? But they’re all SO good. (And yesss you have ADSOM! I hope you enjoy!)

1. paperbackadventures

December 5, 2018 at 8:40 am

Aw, thank you!!
      Picking books back up again this year after several years was the best and worst thing because I have no time to read haha!
      I’m almost done with Six of Crows and it is AMAZING! I completely agree that it might be better than the original trilogy, which is an impressive feat.
      I’m so, so excited for ADSOM!

8. Ruth

December 5, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Congratulations on your exam!! That’s absolutely wonderful, and definitely shows all the hard work you must be putting in. You have every right to be proud of yourself.

Your new project on mental illness sounds fantastic, and I can’t wait to read it.

1. paperbackadventures

December 5, 2018 at 4:54 pm

Thank you so much! 💖
      I’ve got so many amazing people willing to share their story and I’m so excited to start posting them. First one goes up on Friday!

9. Sheree @ Keeping Up With The Penguins

December 6, 2018 at 3:53 am

It’s SOOOO hard to read for fun when you’re studying, especially around exam time, so I think getting one-and-a-bit-books read in November is AMAZING!! Good on you 😉👍🏼 And I think NaNoWriMo is one of those things that you have to half-heartedly attempt a few times before you ACTUALLY do it, so really you’re just one step closer. REALLY looking forward to your mental health series – you’re spot on, “mental illness” has become really closely linked with “depression and anxiety” in the popular consciousness, which can be equally stigmatising as no awareness at all for people who experience other types of mental ill health. Keep doing your great work!!

1. paperbackadventures

December 8, 2018 at 12:39 pm

Ahh thank you so much! 💜
      That makes me feel better about NaNoWriMo haha! Maybe next year, I’ll get to 1000 words 😂
      Exactly, that is one of the reasons I really wanted to start this series. All the tweets I see are aimed at depression and anxiety, and even though I suffer from anxiety myself and know a lot of people with depression, there’s so many people who have no idea about the other forms mental illness come in. I’m so excited to showcase the amazing, brave people I have lined up who are going to share their experiences!

10. Darina

December 8, 2018 at 11:54 am

Sounds like you had a busy November so finishing one book is still really good! I’m looking forward to reading your features on mental health this month and hope December is a great month for you, those books look amazing!

1. paperbackadventures

December 8, 2018 at 12:56 pm

Thank you, I’m so excited to get started on my December TBR! I’m so glad you’re looking forward to the mental health spotlight, hope you enjoy them!